Wilkinson’s – Pioneers of Menard County, Texas
Nancy Rose Mires Wilkinson was born in Henderson, Rusk County, Texas on 6 February 1860, to Patrick Henry “Paddy” Mires and Vianna Tidwell. Nancy lost her mother in 1864. In 1865, Mr. Mires brought his family to the new frontier and Menardville, Texas. In 1867, Mr. Mires married Miss Louisa Matilda Miller [Update: married on 28 Nov 1867 in Menardville, Menard County, Texas] and they raised eleven children. He and his family ended up in Christoval.
It is said about Paddy in The Standard, San Angelo, Texas, 20 February 1897, that he was famous as the owner of the finest fishing preserve on the Conchos and for his water cress which he sold in San Angelo for over 20-years.
In the “Free State of Menard” published in 1946, by N. H. Pierce it states, Paddy Mires built a log house which was the first building to be erected in Menardville. Mr. Mires and his partner Tull Smith operated a store in that log house. Paddy Mires was the first settler to act as postmaster for the village, with Mr. Smith second. The post office was not officially established until June 16, 1868, when Lee C. Blake was named postmaster, but mail was brought here before that date.
Nancy married William Jackson Montgomery Wilkinson on 22 December 1875 and they made their home at Peg Leg Ranch in eastern Menard County. He was a widower after the death of his first wife, Mary Caroline Spiller and they had two children, William Neile Buie Wilkinson and Martha Carolyn Wilkinson.
Below is their marriage certificate and a link to their beginning story and the first sheep in Menard County.
In 1878, Nancy and W. J. established their headquarters ranch at the head of Clear Creek Springs which contained approximately 15,000 acres. Nancy and W. J. were parents of nine children. You can see some of the family in an 1890’s photo.